Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Maybe it's not the thought that counts . . .

So, I decided to start this blog. I already have two other blogs. One that I planned on updating once a month (which hasn't happened) and another that I have never gotten around to writing the first post. However, I am realizing I have all these thoughts and experiences I want to share and there doesn't seem to be anyone around with whom to share them. This blog you have unfortunately stumbled upon is the generic "Richard's Life Ramblings." By the way, I hate pocket change.

Well, as mentioned, there are experiences that I just need to share and so that brings me to my first post.

Somewhere between two years and eighteen months ago (and for some of the it may have even been longer), I decided to put together some packages to send of to friends serving missions. It was for a wide range of people, including family, pseudo-family, friends, and former EFY participants. I purchased tie tacks, scripture marking pens, CDs, pez dispensers, jerky, gum, and tons of Halloween candy. I addressed all the packages and filled them, but set them aside since I felt obliged to write each one of them a  personal letter. After all, what missionary wants to get a package without a letter?

So there they sat and time passed by as they waited for letters to be written. Since it was now Christmas, the Halloween candy just wouldn't do. So I ate it and replaced it all with Christmas candy, thinking I will put a Christmas card in each package. Surely I could find the time to write in a Christmas card for each one. After all, they're much shorter than standard letters. But before I knew it, it was Valentine's Day and Christmas candy would no longer work.

Let's just say that I went through a lot of holidays, some holidays more than once, and I ate a lot of candy. Eventually the packages were forgotten until I moved. That's when I discovered a box containing all kinds of packages that were all lacking personal letters and were never sent. I had two years worth of packages I had thrown together with object lessons that were all addressed to former EFY participants, about eight missionary packages, some holiday cards to send to my grandmother, and a Valentine's package to send to a friend. All unsent. All forgotten in a box.

Well, needless to say, all the missionaries are home now. Every one of them and all the former EFY participants are probably on missions. So, if any of you are reading this (Matthew, Carli, Sam, Brad, TJ, Cami Jo, Jake, Sarah, Grandma, and any old EFY participants) I did think of you. But then, you'll probably never know that. It really isn't the thought the counts if nothing ever comes of the thought, that is nothing besides the cavities and weight I probably gained from all that candy.

1 comment:

  1. I always love to hear your experiences, and your take on the world, even when you think there's no one around to share them with. Yay for Richard blogging!

    ReplyDelete